We are living in the era of AI tools. Every day we are discovering new AI tools for different tasks that were earlier not done without a proper skill.
Content writing from AI tools is most popular these days because the content generated by AI is well written and very fast to produce. But this will pose a problem for educators, teachers, or companies that hire content writers for their websites. Content generated by AI sometimes lacks EEAT (experience, expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness), so it is essential for those people to detect whether the content is AI-generated or human-written.
There are many tools available for detecting AI content, but those tools are new and improving continuously, so they are not that reliable.
In this blog post, we will discuss how AI-generated content is detected. We can use tools for detecting AI content, and it can be manually detected if you have experience.
Table of Contents
Who needs AI content detectors?
- Teachers: Teachers of schools, institutions, or tuitions are always worried since AI tools started generating content because students are now completing their homework and assignments with the help of ChatGPT without any effort.
- Publishers: Publishers who publish articles want their content to be humanly written and give value to their users. They want to use AI tools for research only, but the content should be humanly written.
- Companies: Some companies hire content writers for their websites and social media handles, so they want their content writers to write content without using AI tools for updated and best-value content. Additionally, a few companies also want to detect fake product reviews or spam content generated by AI bots.
- Recruiters: recruiters who want to confirm that the cover letters submitted by candidates are their own original writing.
How AI-generated content is detected
AI content generation by AI tools is governed by NLG (natural language generation). There are some ways that can be used to detect AI-generated content.
- Robotic Tone or Language: AI-generated content uses a robotic tone or language, which makes AI-generated content different from human-written content. Humanly written content is generally in a conversational tone.
- Perplexity: AI-generated content has a low Perplexity, making it appear too perfect and uncomplicated to users. The AI content is great because it is predictable what comes next, which sets it apart from human-written content because humanly written content has a tendency to be highly complex due to the involvement of different creative minds.
- Burstiness: AI-generated content has low burstiness, which means variation and complexity in sentences are the least, while humanly written content has high burstiness. The burstiness score also means how much repetition of words and phrases is used.
- Outdated information: AI tools always generate content according to the database available. Technology and science updates are changing continuously, so if you generate content related to technology or science, then there is a possibility that the information given by AI tools is outdated. For example, ChatGPT is generating content according to the information available until September 2021.
- Lack of depth: If you generate content related to a specific field like medical, engineering, technology, space exploration, etc., then that content only covers the basics, not the in-depth information.
5 tools for AI content detection
There are many tools available through which you can detect AI-written content, but those tools are not 100% accurate. Some of the tools and my observations about them are:
This is one of the most popular AI content detector tool.
Available for free (up to 2500 characters).
My observation: I generated a blog post by ChatGPT and this tool detected the content as AI content.
Free tool for few checks.
My observation: I generated a blog post by ChatGPT. I copied that content and pasted it into this tool. This tool detected the content as AI content.
Free tool for upto 3000 words.
My observation: I generated a blog post by ChatGPT. I copied that content and pasted it into this tool. This tool detected the content as 100% AI content.
Free tool for upto 15000 characters.
My observations: I generated a blog post by ChatGPT. I copied that content and pasted it into this tool. This tool detected the content as 54.34% AI content.
Free tool for upto 5000 characters.
My observations: I generated a blog post by ChatGPT. I copied that content and pasted it into this tool. This tool detected the content as 82% AI content.
How to avoid AI detection
If you want to use AI content somewhere without being detected, then there are some possible ways in which you can change or alter the content so that it cannot be detected as AI-generated content.
- Paraphrase: Paraphrasing or rewriting the same content without changing the meaning of the content is the best way to avoid AI detection. Some tools for paraphrasing are Quilbot and Grammerly.
- Edit and fact-check: You can also mix the AI content with human content. Also, always remember to check whether the facts and information given by AI content are right at that time or not because AI tools provide outdated information or facts.
- AI tools: There are some tools available in which you just need to put your AI-generated content, and then that content will be converted into human content. Generally, those tools are paid or have limitations in the free version.
- Prompt method: Prompt engineering is one of the trending skills nowadays. If you give proper prompts to ChatGPT, then you can also generate human content using Chatgpt. You can also try giving prompts like “rewrite the above article and make it plagiarism-free” or “rewrite the above article so that it cannot be detectable as AI content,” or you can use a sequence of prompts for generating a unique article.
We have discussed all about AI detection tools and their working. I hope you find this article helpful if you are interested in knowing how AI-generated content is detected.
AI detection tools are still new and improving continuously by adding more and more data to their database to differentiate between AI and human content, so they are not that reliable at this time. Let’s see how these tools advance in the future to make detection 100% accurate and reliable.
More Reads you might like.